Friday, October 10, 2008

20 photos a week

I have been taking my own advice these past few weeks. Like Marcia, I promised myself I would take at least 20 pictures a week. Here are some of my images from September 29.
Canada Geese are begining to return to the Nisqually Refuge. The refuge is undergoing a major transformation to restore the Nisqually River Delta to a natural state. The ring dike which created Brown's Farm is being removed to allow marine water to enter the delta. A new dike is being added, closer to the Visitor's Center. The woodlands and fresh water ponds which surround the Visitor's Center will be undistrubed in this 3 -4 year project. The Canada Geese seem slightly perplexed as to what is going on, but have found a new winter home on one of the large remaining fields. An American Bittern. Previously, I had only caught glimpses of this amazing bird. On this day, I had the rare treat of seeing 4 different American Bitterns in one day. This Bittern was less than 40 feet away. The Bittern has an interesting behavior where it mimics the breeze-blown reeds by gently swaying its neck with the wind. The vertical striping of its chest make it hard to spot.
Cornell University All ABout Birds states:"A stocky and well-camouflaged heron of dense reed beds, the American Bittern is difficult to see. Its far-carrying booming call is distinctive, but the bittern itself likes to keep under cover."

1 comment:

Marilyn said...

I like your assignment to shoot 20 photos a week.

Your explanatory comments add much to the photos: the bittern's long neck swaying in the reeds; the info about how the changes at Nisqually are affecting birds. Images may be worth 1,000 words but text informs the photo.

Very cool to have caught the bittern which I have never seen!