Sunday, September 22, 2013

Refraction and Reflection



I was out in my backyard this afternoon when the rain began to pour
from the heavens like it did for Noah's flood. I had my camera with me,
of course, and remembered that raindrops reflect light when you
photograph them with a flash. I took several photos and the one
above was my best effort at creating something with minor interest.


While it was still raining hard, the sun came out with an amazing intensity.
Knowing that rain and sun together are the primary ingredients for
rainbows, I rushed to the front yard to see one of the most dramatic
rainbows I have seen in years.

For a time, you could even see the double rainbow.

I thought, "ah ha! The perfect reflection image!"

And then I realized that it was a refraction, not a reflection. A refraction
is when light bends and morphs into another form. Read about how
refraction works in this post: http://science.howstuffworks.com/nature/climate-weather/storms/rainbow1.htm


The rain left large amounts of rain in the street and along the gutters.
One last chance. A rainbow reflected in a rain puddle.
Reflection and refraction in one.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

Wonderful series, plus great info. Love #2 with all the colors, plus the hint of second rainbow.

#1 has the vibrant colors of a good rain

#3 has the colors, circles to look at ... Are we looking into Oly Galaxy? Far far away, yet so close and mysterious

Marilyn said...

The 2nd image is an iconic American neighborhood image with vivid color. The perspective of line wires and street lead us into the shot. The background of trees and rainbow(s) make this a special neighborhood.

CaitlinAnn said...

I love the effect of the flash with the rain drops; I may use that a bit tonight! I nearly never have the success you had with the rainbow image. my rainbows always seem to be faded or not vibrant enough to really photograph well. I love the street scene and the rainbow so vibrant and perfectly laid across the black clouds.

But my favorite is the puddle reflecting the rainbow. The subtle details of the rain still causing ripples n the standing water. it is beautiful and simple and oh so fun!

Michele Burton said...

Caitlin,
This was an extra amazing rainbow. Standing in our tree shaded backyard, I could see the intensity of the sunlight bursting through the rain and knew that the rainbow I would find out front would be spectacular. I think it helped that it was late afternoon, so the angle on refraction that created the rainbow bounced the greatest amount of light in my direction. And, I was directly between the sun and the rainbow, which probably helped.

I am not sure about the rainbow reflected in the puddle. I wonderi f it might look like an oil smudge if you take it out of context.