Thursday, December 03, 2009

New photos

Happy belated Thanksgiving everyone! I was back in San Diego for the holiday and went to 2 of my favorite places: Maritime Museum and Balboa Park. I was playing with light a little... to see the differences in warmth between daylight, shade, and late afternoon sun. Top photo is the late afternoon shot (I upped the saturation for a little more pizzazz) of the HMS Surprise (with the Berkeley paddlewheeler in the background), the ship that was in the Russell Crowe movie Master and Commander. The other 2 photos are more architecture at Balboa Park. It was unusual to get them with few/no people in them 'cuz the park was really busy. I'm still really into shooting arches! The middle photo was taken in the shade. I made the bottom photo in a protected courtyard. I'd appreciate your comments when you have time. Thanks!













3 comments:

Marilyn said...

You created 2 peaceful images with repetition, shades of color, use of light and great depth. The curves of the receding arches both calm and invite. I want to climb those stairs and walk the colonnade to the end.

The boat is beautiful in the afternoon light but for me, the background detracts. Was there any other angle you could shoot from without walking on water?

Marcia said...

Thanks for your comments, Marilyn. There was no other angle to shoot from. The boats are moored so closely together - one on either side of the dock - that the only way to get a shot of the Surprise is when they take her out for a sail and you're on another boat. In addition, there is an old Russian sub moored immediately behind her. Not great angles for anything from land.

Jeanne said...

My favorite is the middle. I love the shadows the warm colors and the way the picture draws you to the light at the end. I really love this photo. Good eye!