Sunday, February 01, 2009

Orcas Island, last day of January 2009

I spent the day on Orcas Island yesterday.  Its pretty quiet this time of year and was sunny but really cold.  I drove through Moran State Park and walked a bit with Oliver the Dog and I drove around looking for places that would capture the low sunlight best.  I found some streams on Mt. Constitution that were still covered in ice and waited for the early morning sun to catch the water.
As we drove to the ferry, the sun was beginning to set.  I saw this eagle just sitting in a field, slowly stretching it's wings to catch the last rays.
Cascade Lake in Moran State Park was very still.  This photo was taken in the late afternoon.  
Mid afternoon and the light was very flat on the lake.
Ducks on the lake swimming towards the other shore.  I waited for the ducks to catch the low afternoon sunlight and then pushed the photo to create more contrast.
Someone built this covered bridge on a small pond midway across the island.  I drove by several times looking for just the right time to take a photo.  I wanted the sun to be hitting the bridge and trees.  Luckily in the mid afternoon, the sun did just what I wanted and for several minutes I had the lighting that I wanted.  Five minutes later, it was gone and the scenery was flat again.

  

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

The pictures are beautiful and well worth waiting for the right light. Sounds like a very nice day.