Saturday, October 16, 2010

Looking closer

Some insects come to take a look at you, others rest quietly allowing you to approach and some are underfoot. I used my macro lens to "catch" the dragonflies and grasshoppers, then went home to find out who they are: Blue-eyed Darner, Cardinal Meadowhawk and mating grasshoppers.

















Read about the life cycle of a dragonfly. I had no idea!















http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonflies















See more on how grasshoppers reproduce: She's laying eggs!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasshopper

I pointed the grasshoppers out to several walkers who stopped to see why I was on my knees shooting. They were also delighted and told me their grasshopper stories!

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

I love these! such great beauty!!!

Beth said...

Really like these - very professional.
What lens did you get? Very cool and informative!

Jeanne said...

Awesome Photos! I love your copywright signature too! I agree with Beth, very professional!

Marilyn said...

I used a Canon 100mm macro which lets me get very close to what I'm shooting. Very nice with flowers, insects...

Judy Dybwad said...

Great shots, Marilyn. You are inspiring me afresh to go out and use the 100mm macro lens.

CaitlinAnn said...

amazing photographs! And in such detail! The colors and how you caught each insect in action is simply stunning!!!