Sunday, January 11, 2009

Cancelled






4am, Monday, 22nd December.
flight to Salt Lake City, connecting to Jackson Hole ... cancelled.
it was a bleak time at Seatac airport. I was one of the lucky ones who had spent Sunday nite in a hotel. I was full of positive vibes as I went for my early am flight. Nothing was going nowhere.
it took a long time to decide should I, should I not, photograph the sleeping passengers. Around 8am I took fotos, trying to be respectful. I had chatted with folks who slept at the airport. I had gotten coffee in one of the few spots open, with only 1 person working and a line of 20+++ who wanted java.
I took the bus into town. was my own sherpa as I rolled luggage, camera bag looking for buses to take me to the north end of capital hill. made it most of the way, then treked about a mile up and over roads to a warm casa, warm tea, warm hugs.
luggage carts do not travel well on snow and ice.
did not take the rescheduled flight into Jackson, good plan as it was cancelled toooo. as was my return flight out of Jackson. my wyoming holiday was spent on capital hill, seattle.

3 comments:

Beth said...

I'm so glad you took these. What a disappointment to miss Jackson Hole though! The color is really intense. Photojournalism takes moxy. Thanks for sharing your Seattle story.

Marilyn said...

That wall gives the photos a real 'pop' factor!

These people are temporarily homeless. One has the sense that they're there but invisible to those passing by--just as they are on the street. Your sense of wanting to be respectful is warranted. Beth's right, this is photojournalism.

I like the photos with the 'pop' wall but also the last scene with people going about their business while someone is sleeping against the wall. That says it all.

Alexa Robbins said...

This is photo journalism at it's best. These are intimate yet also very artistic in nature with the vibrant color. The story is really touching.